Sunday, February 25, 2007

A New, Yet Unwelcome Friend

I made a new friend this past week.

It's name is migraine.

Damn this unwelcome friend! It has caused me to miss 3 days of work which again adds more stacks of cases to handle in the future.

Those past 3 days of productivity loss made me think of what the future holds. The people I care about are mostly outside of the this side of the hemisphere and I miss them. I rarely talk to them because of work and the time difference. The people of the Friday club we called our mischievous group were the closes thing I had to normal way, way back.

This migraine really hurts and it is the first time I've encountered it. I checked with the company doctor on duty and apparently I have been experiencing this for the last 2 years but just lately realizing what it was called as it has become much more persistent in making it's presence known.

I just ignored as a simple headache. (Fun fact: Migraine's can also be signs of a possible aneurysm or so I have heard.)

They call it a complicated migraine, probably brought out from stress, lack of sleep, and other unhealthy activities.

The medical practitioner whom I sought help from tried to pry open what was troubling me. I would have loved to tell him but it is too obscure and many to mention so I deflected the question with another question.

If you knew me well enough, part of that is supporting 2 families although that is not as obvious...

The doctor did try to suggest getting chemical help for sleep. I of course refused because I am not a big fan of sleeping pills. The last time I took a dose, it kept me asleep for more than 12 hours. I woke up still unrefreshed but ready for traveling the urban jungle which is an almost daily event. If you know my work ethic you will realize that I cannot allow myself to succumb to a daily routine of 12 hours of torpor just to keep myself less stressed. The commute itself is time consuming and I do not have a penchant for tardiness unless I am stuck in a no win situation.

So, as I make it through the daily routine, I embrace the problem like an oyster and hope it turns it in to a pearl I can use to my advantage.

No comments: