Thursday, September 30, 2010

Geotagging On Games

I recently tried using FourSquare via Firefox on my netbook. If you do not know what FourSquare is you need to read up on your mobile app news. In a nutshell, it's a social networking site similar to the recently introduced Facebook Places. The site logs where you and your gadget is which they call "checking-in". It seems fun for a few times but it gets boring and the fact that you tell people where you are seem to be a bit too invasive on one's privacy.


On another note, there is also Alternate Reality Games. The first time I heard of this was back in 2005, the biggest one of all was Perplex City. I subscribed to their mailing list and found out that you have to actually travel and purchase cards from the creators to actually enjoy the game.


In this mobile world becoming increasingly smaller, I wonder about the business opportunity on these two great ideas. Why not a Geotagged game local to a specific region (or country)?


I remember back in the 80's when I was still active on the RPG scene, AD&D was one of the hottest pen and paper games played by those who loved to read and imagine. Fanatics went a little bit beyond the pen and paper and started it out in real life.


I see a potential profit model here with most of society owning mobile phones and love to play games. Since social networking is the big thing nowadays, why not create a new mobile alternate reality game? If I only knew how to code this would probably be a good idea. I am probably not the first person to come up with the idea but I would encourage anyone with the resources and knowledge to think about it.


We all like money in some level and if you have the talent and resources why not go and start it up? Please don't forget my cut, by the way....


Enjoy!

No comments: